What To Do After A Loved One Dies
When a loved one passes away, there are several different aspects that you need to focus on and many modalities that need to be taken care of. Most of these tasks need to be completed with attention to detail. Let's take a look at some of the things that need to be done after a loved one dies.
- Request Death Certificates- One of the first steps that you need to take is to obtain the death certificate from the vital statistics office in the place where the death occurred. In many cases, funeral homes offer these services as well. Make it a point to order multiple copies as you would need to provide an original certified document at many places.
- Contact Family Members- Contact all your immediate family members and inform them about the demise. Depending on where they live, you can connect with them in person, over the phone, or even via digital media such as a Facebook announcement on your family page.
- Follow Body Bequeathal Instructions - If your loved one has left behind body bequeathal instructions, follow them. For example, if they have made some arrangements to donate their body to a medical school, it is important that you respect those wishes. Check the person’s living will to find out whether there is an advance directive and whether they have made these arrangements. It is important that this decision is made as soon as possible after the demise.
- Discussion With Family- If you have to handle the funeral service preparations, bring together all the family members for a discussion. Their inputs can be useful if your loved one has left no advanced instructions or has made some unreasonable request.
Some of the factors that you should be taking into consideration while planning the funeral service include:
- Whether the deceased had any specific preferences
- The types of services that you want
- What your family wants
- What is realistic and fits into your budget
If you want to know more about our cemetery services, contact us at Willowbrook Cemetery and our dedicated staff will be happy to assist you in any way we can.